Aislinn Conrad, M.S.W., Ph.D.
Aislinn Conrad's research examines the social determinants that reduce child maltreatment and promote family wellbeing. Past projects include linking material hardship (food/housing insecurity) to child abuse, and validating the Spanish version of the Protective Factors Survey.
Before her appointment at the University of Iowa, Conrad served as a case manager for children in the foster care system and investigated alleged incidences of child abuse and neglect in Kansas.
Virtual Office Hours
Mondays/Wednesdays, 3:00 - 4:00 pm & by appointment
Via Zoom: https://uiowa.zoom.us/j/93263172420?pwd=bStPMjlLM3kwOU94Ukc1OE5ONy83dz09 / password: SWHBSE
Child wellbeing; child maltreatment prevention; contextual factors of child maltreatment; poverty; material hardship; structural equation modeling
- Wojciak AS, Butcher B, Conrad A, Coohey C, Oral R, Peek-Asa C. Trends, Diagnoses, and Hospitalization Costs of Child Abuse and Neglect in the United States of America. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021 Jul 16;18(14):7585. doi: 10.3390/ijerph18147585. PMID: 34300039; PMCID: PMC8305453.
- Conrad, A., Butcher, B., Oral, R., Ronnenberg, M.*, & Peek-Asa, C. (Accepted). Trends in Shaken Baby Syndrome diagnoses among young children hospitalized for abuse. Injury Epidemiology. doi: 10.21203/rs.3.rs-22246/v1
- Wojciak, A. S., Butcher, B., Conrad, A., Coohey, C., Oral, R., & Peek-Asa, C. (Accepted). National trends in child abuse and neglect hospitalization rates and costs. International Journal of Environmental Research & Public Health: Traumas.
- Bosk, E., Van Scoyoc, A., Mihalec-Adkins, B., Conrad, A., Hanson, K., & Chaiyachati, B. (Accepted). Integrating responses to caregiver substance misuse, intimate partner violence and child maltreatment: Initiatives and policies that support families at risk for entering the child welfare system. Aggression and Violent Behavior.
- Oral, R., Coohey, C., Zarei, K., Conrad, A., Nielsen, A., Wibbenmeyer, L., Segal, R., Wojciak, A. S., Jennissen, C., & Peek-Asa, C. (2021). Nationwide efforts for trauma-informed care implementation and workforce development in healthcare and related fields: A systematic review. Turkish Journal of Pediatrics.
- Conrad, A., Gamboni, C., Johnson, V., Wojciak, A. S., & Ronnenberg, M. (2020). Has the US child welfare system become an informal income maintenance programme?: A literature review. Child Abuse Review. https://doi.org/10.1002/car.2607
- Conrad-Hiebner, A., & Byram, E. (2020). The temporal impact of economic insecurity on child maltreatment: A systematic review. Trauma, Violence, & Abuse, 21(1), 157-178. https://doi.org/10.1177/1524838018756122
Human Behavior in the Social Environment, Advanced Practicum Seminar for Integrated Practice, Introduction to Social Work Research
In my work with children and families, I have investigated allegations of abuse and neglect, validated instruments, coordinated programs, and provided case management.
- Child Welfare