Apply Now The 2024 applications for the MSW program and the PhD program are now accessible.
Applicants for admission to the graduate program must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the criteria outlined in the respective social work program's Admission Policy Statement document (further below).
The minimum requirements for admission to the Graduate College are:
- A bachelor’s degree from a Regionally Accredited American College or University, or an equivalent degree from another country as determined by the Office of Admissions.
- A minimum grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00, or the foreign equivalent as determined by the Office of Admissions.
You are ready to apply to the University of Iowa's MSW program if you meet the Graduate College minimum requirements and can:
- tell us a little about your professional goals in seeking the MSW, and
- think carefully about the time and effort required (class scheduling, reading/completing assignments, practicum hours), and choose the program option that will work for you.
Here is what you'll need to submit to apply to the MSW program:
- UI graduate admissions application
- 2-page statement of purpose; (1 year Advanced Standing applicants have an additional question)
- brief SSW Supplemental Data form
- your resume
- name, email address, and phone number for 2 references (1 academic and 1 professional reference)
- unofficial transcripts from all colleges attended (except University of Iowa)
Application deadlines depend on the learning center location and the degree path you are interested in.
Iowa City, Des Moines, Online (Advanced Standing) - Studies begin Summer 2024
Sioux City (Advanced Standing) - Studies begin Summer 2024
Iowa City, Des Moines, Online (Regular Standing) - Studies begin Fall 2024
Iowa City (PhD Program) - Studies begin Fall 2024
MSW Quick Guide to Apply (2024)
MSW Important Guidelines for Applying for Admissions (2024 - All Locations)
PhD Important Guidelines for Applying for Admission 2024 (Iowa City)
Important Forms for Admissions
Applicants for admission to the graduate program must meet the Admission Requirements of the Graduate College and the criteria outlined in the respective social work program's Admission Policy Statement document:
See the Manual of Rules and Regulations of the Graduate College on the Graduate College website for additional information.
Please see our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.
For more information about the PhD in social work, see our PhD information page.
If you have any additional questions about the program, the application process, or need assistance with a requirement listed above, please contact us at email@example.com or call 319-335-1250.
We encourage prospective applicants to attend a Master of Social Work Information Session to learn more about the admission process and our programs. To view upcoming information session dates, click on the learning center location where you would like to enroll: