Students who have an interest in the Social Work program are encouraged to make use of the advising services available at Iowa. Once enrolled in the "professional core" social work courses, social work students are advised by social work faculty or staff. Until then, the following resources are available:

All first-semester students and students with less than 24 semester hours are advised in the Academic Advising Center. The center’s team of advisors specializes in transitioning students to academic and student life at Iowa, and help each student plan for a successful academic start at Iowa.

Academic advising questions for social work interest students who have earned 24 semester hours or more can be directed to:

Ben Landsee
Senior Academic Advisor, CLAS
114 (Macbride Hall)

MyUI Appointment Scheduler

Our departmental advisors can help you with the following:

  • Advisor signatures on add/drop and other university forms
  • Questions about course registration
  • Questions or problems with your degree audit
  • Academic planning and progress toward graduation
  • Academic probation
  • Review of study abroad courses for major credit
  • Opportunities for Honors students and information about departmental honors
  • Choosing a second area of study and other discussions regarding adding second majors, minors, and certificate programs
  • Information regarding campus resources for students
  • Other questions or concerns you may have

Once a student is enrolled in the "professional core" social work courses, they are assigned an academic advisor affiliated with the Student Services Center at the School of Social Work.

For additional questions about undergraduate studies, students may also contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies for the School of Social Work:

Alison Oliver, M.S.W.
School of Social Work
Director of Undergraduate Studies / Associate Professor of Instruction
353 North Hall (NH)

Handbooks and Program Forms


Bachelor of Arts in Social Work HandbooK 2023-2024 

Bachelor of Arts Honors Contract and Options
Change of Faculty Mentor / Faculty Advisor
Incomplete Contract Form
Individual Study Contract
Leave of Absence Form (BA program)