- ALL students pay in-state tuition
- Three-year, part-time program
- Students admitted every other year
- Our next Online MSW cohort will begin in Summer 2024
- Required classes meet Thursdays, 5:30-8:00 pm (Central) via Zoom
The cohort-model program strives to build strong connection and engagement by keeping class sizes small, creating learning communities of students living in similar geographic regions and matching these communities with a local MSW mentor. Students meet with their learning communities twice each year and with all students in the summer at the Summer Institute, held at the University of Iowa main campus in Iowa City, Iowa.
To qualify, students must:
- Live in Iowa or bordering states who because of geography or life circumstances cannot access our Des Moines, Iowa City, Quad Cities or Sioux City learning centers
- Have either a BSW or a 4-year degree in another discipline
- Commit to evening classes in real time using video conferencing and asynchronous classes in which course work is done independently, adhering to deadlines
- Participate in a required 2-day Summer Institute in Iowa City, Iowa during the second and third summers of the program, and in twice-yearly virtual meetings with their learning communities
- Be willing to work with the Online MSW Program Field Administrator to develop and secure practicum (internship) placement(s) in their community
And show potential for being a successful online learner, which calls for:
- Preparedness: Group project skills, time management, quiet space;
- Basic technical skills: Managing computer hardware and software, navigating Internet, downloading and uploading documents; and
- Devices and tools: Regular access to high speed Internet, a computer, a headset/microphone, web camera, and other necessary learning tools.
Are you ready for Online? Assess your readiness with the help of UI Distance and Online Education.
View Sample Course Sequence 2024 - 2027
For more information, visit our Admissions webpage or please contact: